SocialWorkCAS allows applicants to use a single online application and one set of materials to apply to multiple master’s of social work programs at participating schools. A full list of social work programs, including SocialWorkCAS participants and nonparticipants, can be found in the CSWE Directory of Accredited Programs.
Benefits include the following:
- Reducing time and costs associated with duplicate applications, data entry, letters of reference, transcripts, and supporting materials for those applying to more than one school by using a single online application
- Using a comprehensive online checklist and instructions to help applicants easily navigate through the application
- Enabling applicants to check their application status online or on a smartphone 24/7 to track the receipt of applications, transcripts, and references
- Accessing dedicated and knowledgeable SocialWorkCAS support staff throughout the application cycle
- Before You Apply
- Application Overview
- Fee Waiver Program
- Fee Structure
- General Application Questions
- Participating Programs
Outlined below are suggestions for items to research and collect before you begin the application process.
- Using the individual website for each social work program that you are interested in applying to, check for program specific requirements and to make sure the program is participating in SocialWorkCAS.
- Keep in mind that not all social work programs are participating in the CAS. View the Participating Programs tab for a full list of enrolled schools.
- A full list of social work programs, including SocialWorkCAS participants and nonparticipants, can be found in the CSWE Directory of Accredited Programs.
- Contact three or more individuals (such as a professor, advisor, field instructor, or recent supervisor) prior to starting the application process and ask whether they are willing to write reference letters for you.
- Before applying, obtain student copies of each of your college transcripts to assist you in entering coursework in the Transcript Entry section of the application.
- To avoid missing important communications from SocialWorkCAS, turn off your e-mail’s spam/junk filters for the duration of the application cycle.
- If you can’t do this, add SocialWorkCAS@liaisoncas.com and @sendgrid.me domain to your allowed e-mail address list.
- Also, please check your spam or junk mail folders periodically throughout the cycle, and check the Notifications section of your application frequently.
- When applying through SocialWorkCAS, the preferred browsers are Google Chrome or Firefox.
Applicants create an account in the Social Work Centralized Application Service (SocialWorkCAS) online portal and follow the six-step process outlined below to submit applications within the system.
STEP 1: Create a SocialWorkCAS account.
Prospective students start by creating an account using the online application portal.
STEP 2: Designate programs of interest.
Applicants must select—or designate—at least one program of interest before moving on to the next step.
STEP 3: Request transcripts.
After creating an account and designating programs of interest, applicants must request the registrar at each school he or she attended to send transcripts for ALL college-level coursework directly to SocialWorkCAS:
SocialWorkCAS Transcript Processing Center
P.O. Box 9212
Watertown, MA 02471
STEP 4: Complete the four quadrants of the SocialWorkCAS application—Personal Information, Academic History, Supporting Information, and Program Materials.
Personal Information, Academic History, and Supporting Information are the core sections and need to be completed only once. This information will be shared with all designated schools. Students enter transcript information in the Academic History section. This allows SocialWorkCAS services to verify applicant information and accurately calculate GPAs for programs. Applicants request three reference (or evaluation) letters in the Supporting Information section. Program Materials content is specific information each program collects from applicants (essays, questions, reference requirements, etc.). If a program requires a reference letter from a certain type of individual, for example, that requirement is stated in the Program Materials section.
STEP 5: Submit the application.
As noted above, an applicant must request three reference letters and complete the three core application quadrants and the Program Materials section for at least one school to submit an application. Applicants pay application fees for each selected program or obtain an application fee waiver if eligible. Reference letters and transcripts do not need to be received by SocialWorkCAS for an applicant to submit his or her application-only requested.
STEP 6: SocialWorkCAS reviews or verifies the application.
Required documents, including all college-level transcripts and two letters of reference, must be received by SocialWorkCAS before the application can be verified. The application will remain on hold until all required documents are received. After the required materials have been received by SocialWorkCAS, the application is verified to ensure coursework entered by the applicant matches the official transcript. The verification process may take up to 4 weeks to complete before the application is released to designated programs.
Download a PDF of these steps here.
Questions about your application or any of the application steps? Please contact SocialWorkCAS Customer Service at (857)-304-2016 or SocialWorkCAS@liaisonedu.com.
Applicants may apply for a financial income fee waiver. Fee waiver requests must be submitted and approved prior to submitting applications through SocialWorkCAS. SocialWorkCAS will not grant a refund on applications submitted prior to approval of a financial income participation fee waiver.
A limited number of fee waivers are available through the SocialWorkCAS Fee Assistance Program, and are worth $75 each. They are given out to qualified applicants until available funds run out for the cycle. These waivers cover the initial application fee and allow applicants to apply to ONE SCHOOL ONLY. If an applicant receives a fee waiver and wishes to apply to more than one school, they are still responsible for the additional fees of $45 per program.
To be considered for a fee waiver, you must have a filed 2015 Federal Income Tax Return Form 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ. If you are still claimed as a dependent by a parent or guardian, SocialWorkCAS requires that individual’s Federal Income Tax Return instead of your own.
Click here for information about how to apply for a financial income fee waiver.
SocialWorkCAS Fee Structure
|Master’s Level Programs|
|Each Additional Program||$45.00|
We encourage you to submit your application and all your required materials at least 4 weeks prior to the deadline for your designated program(s).
- All deadlines are at 11:59pm EASTERN time on the date listed on the application.
- You must apply to at least one program in order to submit your application through SocialWorkCAS.
Consult each program’s page in the “Program Materials” section of the application to see which programs charge a supplemental (or school-specific) fee in addition to the SocialWorkCAS fee.
- Note: You must submit any supplemental fees directly to the program(s) you are applying to; SocialWorkCAS does not process supplemental fees on behalf of the schools. SocialWorkCAS cannot give a refund or transfer the payment to another program if a selection was made in error.
When is the application deadline?
Programs have individual deadlines that can be found in the Add Program section of the SocialWorkCAS application or listed on each program’s website.
What timeframe will the application not be available to applicants?
The SocialWorkCAS application will be unavailable for one day (August 28, 2017) in order to make service enhancements for the upcoming application cycle. Transcripts and references will not be processed during that timeframe either. However, please note that during that time school users will have access to WebAdMIT.
Can I apply to more programs after I’ve submitted the application?
Yes. Applicants can log into their application and designate more programs throughout the entire application cycle.
I haven’t heard back from my references. What should I do?
We suggest re-sending the reference email to your recommenders. You can edit a Requested or Accepted Reference under Supporting Information. Once you navigate to that section, click on the blue pencil button. Within that page, you’ll see a re-send button that you can click to resend a request.
I’m ready to submit, but I don’t know if you received my transcripts. Should I wait?
No need — go ahead and submit! As long as you’ve sent the official request for transcripts to your school’s registrar office (or schools’ registrar offices, if you’ve attended multiple schools), then you’re all set when it comes to transcripts. You can submit your application even before we receive them. I’m sending my transcript to SocialWorkCAS.
Why do I have to also manually enter my coursework?
In addition to requesting official transcripts, SocialWorkCAS requires you to enter all completed coursework to help us ensure your GPA calculations are accurate. It’ll save you time in the long run because admissions staff are guaranteed correct application information.
Whoops! I forgot to request that the Transcript Request Form be mailed along with my official transcript. Will you accept a transcript without it?
Including a Transcript Request Form with your transcript will help us to process the document faster since we won’t have to search for your additional information in our database, but it’s fine if you forgot to include it. We’ll still accept your transcript as long as it’s an official version mailed directly to SocialWorkCAS from your school(s).
There’s something weird going on — The address for transcripts is not the same as my school of interest’s address. Am I really supposed to send my transcript to Massachusetts?
You read that right! Your transcripts will be processed by Liaison International in Watertown, Massachusetts rather than by our office so be sure to request that they’re sent to the address provided rather than to our school’s address. Here it is again, in case it’s helpful:
SocialWorkCAS Transcript Processing Center
P.O. Box 9212
Watertown, MA 02471
Oh no! I chose the wrong program. Can I change it?
You can. You’ll need to have at least one program selected at all times in SocialWorkCAS so go ahead and add your new program. Once you do, you’ll be able to deselect the incorrect one.
Download a copy of these FAQs here.
Did we miss your question? Check the SocialWorkCAS Application Help Pages. If you’re still not finding what you seek, you can call SocialWorkCAS representatives at (857) 304-2016 Open Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm EST or email them at SocialworkCAS@liaisoncas.com.
The following master’s level programs are enrolled in SocialWorkCAS:
- Bryn Mawr College
- Long Island University-Brooklyn
- Long Island University-Post
- Samford University
- Temple University
- University of South Dakota
- Widener University
A full list of social work programs, including SocialWorkCAS participants and nonparticipants, can be found in the CSWE Directory of Accredited Programs.